Thursday 13 March 2008

I is for INFUSION

I learned a new word today. Well, not exactly a new word, more correctly a word that I already knew, but hardly ever use and today learned to use it in a new way, if you understand. At least that's what I can recall before I temporarily fell asleep. You see, it was another one of those crash courses which all the primary teachers across our wee country have been experiencing, that are supposed to prepare us to teach what they call the 'revised curriculum,' though I don't remember having much, if anything , to do with the revision. We have been swamped with coloured booklets, glossy pamphlets, hi-tech computers, the latest all singing, all dancing software, on line communications, dedicated educational websites, chat rooms and a host of all seeing, all knowing advisers to deliver, by force if necessary, the wishes of those in high places to 'improve' an education system, which, despite being envied across the world, is, according to the 'experts', a dismal failure. I mean, why else would you want to change something so radically, unless it was clearly breaking down? So I write this today for a good friend of mine, who would have been sitting today where I was sitting in a lecture room except that God made her life take a radically different direction last year, in His service.
So Carolyn, today's new word is 'infusion'. But it wasn't the only new word or phrase I've learnt since you left. You can take your pick from any of these. Negotiated success criteria, learning intentions, assessment for learning, connected learning, thinking skills, media awareness, active learning, transmitter, facilitator, enabler, participatory learner, critical friend, provocateur, debrief, two stars and a wish, pair share, formative feedback, constructivist, scaffolding, modelling, metacognition, pedagogical repertoire and that's even before we start to look at all the new abbreviated phrases that are supposed to slip off our tongues with ease. Help! I'm still having trouble with G.C.S.E. !

I looked up the dictionary to get a better idea of what 'infusion' meant and one version suggested 'when one thing is added to another to make it stronger or better,' while another said 'pervading or filling.' But neither told the whole story and possibly, at the end of the day, the best definition came at the course itself, from Webster;s dictionary that stated ' to introduce into one thing a second thing which gives it extra life, vigour and a new significance.' And suddenly I began to realise exactly what infusion meant. Not simply as I had known it in the past when I watched the contents of a tea bag infuse into a cup of hot water or sat a bedside of someone dependent on the infusion of a drug into their sick body to ease pain or keep them alive. NO this meaning had much more relevance to my spiritual state of being rather than any educational or physical value.

For when God infuses me with His Holy Spirit, my life takes on a vibrancy and a new significance that cannot be experienced using any drug, drink or other aid. In truth, I get a new life, as if born again, but this time born with His spirit right at the heart of everything I do, feel, think and say. In response to that infusion I can only only obey His command to 'love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.'

But, Carolyn, you knew that word already, for when you came to teach with us, you infused our lives with your enthusiasm, your laughter, your support, your cooperation, your willingness, your trust, but most of all, your faith and for that we are ever thankful. We are blessed that you have crossed our path (and your singing husband). May God infuse you both even more with His goodness and may He use you to bring extra life, vigour and a new significance to all those you meet. As for the 'revised curriculum' training course, I should have been infused but I wasn't even enthused!

No comments: