Monday 11 February 2008

D is for DOERS

Everybody has an opinion about something. I suppose that's what makes the world such a wonderful place and makes conversation that bit more interesting. Can you just imagine if we all agreed about everything and every gathering was devoid of any varying opinion. I think life would be just a little duller if somewhat quieter. I have opinions about lots of topics as diverse as the best ever Liverpool eleven, music, education, politics, aerosols, truffles, Japanese cars, gossip, worship, Indian food, films and coffee, but I generally keep most of them to myself though occasionally I may be forced to share them. However, I respect others whose opinion may be different to mine and even more so when they can explain in some rational way how they arrived at their verdict.

But for some people opinion and correct are bedfellows and there is no room in the bed for any other views or statements that might be at odds with their dogma. It came home to me yet again as I watched the 'panel' dissect the Six Nations rugby at the weekend. How observant they were to be able to tell exactly what was wrong with the way Ireland played, but also who should have been playing and, more importantly, who should not. How quickly they were able to define the coach's mistakes, his shortcomings and why he should be replaced. And all from the comfort of an easy chair. How astute they were at analysing the finer points of the game, the wrong options chosen and of course what they would have done to put it right. Seems strange then, that each of them has had limited or no success in the same field and that nobody has been rushing to their doors for salvation! And it doesn't end with rugby. Now there is a plethora of 'experts' in every field, some recent retirements while others too long finished for the average player or spectator to even know they existed, except in heresay from an excited dad, reminiscing about yesterday.

It all really started with 'The Panel' way back in the late sixties / early seventies, when a group of footballers and managers close to their sell-by date, pontificated about all things football during the World Cup. Often it was entertaining, often it was heated but it was always opinionated and it did add a little spice to the flavour of the match. And you know, sometimes it is really good to get an insight into the game from a player's point of view rather than from that of a spectator, but where I draw the line is when these past players and managers begin their sentence with that infamous line....'In my day...' That's another way of saying, 'things were so much better back then.' Still, I'm sure I'm not the first person to watch a game with a certain amount of indifference, yet be glued to the box when the analysis begins. Hey, I've even recorded the after-match discussion in preference to watching the game itself. Now isn't that sad!

And I suppose sport's only the thin end of the wedge for any day of the week our local newspapers are packed with letters, columns and essays full of opinions that are more than a little forthright on too many occasions and our televisions and radios constantly air documentaries, dramas and debates where everyone has the opportunity to have their say. And, though I don't agree with a lot of what I hear and see, I respect everyone's right to be heard. At least that's my opinion. So where's the problem? I guess the problem is that it's easy to criticise others when they are the doers and you are the onlookers, it's easy to scoff at a wrong answer when you've never tried to do the sum and it's easy to put down somebody's best efforts when you have made no effort at all. In the book of James we read 'But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.' In other words we can talk the talk but we need to walk the walk. We can criticise our fellow brother or sister when they fall but we're less vocal in our support when they get up again. I want to be more than a hearer or talker for God. I want to be a doer. I don't want to look back and say ...'In my day I did this for God...' I want to say ...'Today I have done this for Him..' That's my opinion!

No comments: