Sunday 10 February 2008

D is for DANGERS

I wasn't around when they happened though my sister was, but even though she was the central character, I don't think she knew much about it either time, nor do I know which incident happened first so these are in no particular chronological order. Anyway, one day when she was just a toddler, mum and dad lost her somewhere outside around the farmyard and after frantically looking in all the places they half expected her to be and returning empty handed, dad began to look beyond the confines of the homestead out into the fields and the orchards around about. It was during this wider search that he just happened to notice, in the distance, the pink outfit that was so familiar, at the far end of the orchard, leading down to the river, with its high banks and deep water. I don't know what went through his mind at that time for he rarely discussed it, except in a joking sort of way, to remind her and probably himself and mum, just how close she had been to danger and possible tragedy. The trouble was she didn't know that danger lurked just around the corner, or more correctly, over the bank, but someone was looking after her.
At another time, probably later, that same someone was on hand again as dad drove round a corner near home and the passenger door that was not properly closed, sprang open and sister fell out on to the road. Fortunately, speed was much less of a factor in those days and meeting traffic on country roads was more of an exception than the rule, but even without the added dangers of oncoming cars or tractors or fast driving, it was still a considerable fall and roads were not any softer than they are now. Again, apart from the occasional funny reflection, I never knew the precise details of the incident but I guess dad was pretty concerned at the time when he stopped the car to retrieve his passenger and I'm sure many times he thought about what might have been.

Looking back, around home was fraught with danger, the minute you stepped out of the house for, apart from the obvious threat from protective cows looking after their young, the red Hereford bull complete with nose ring, that spent most of his time peering out through the gate instead of wooing the females longing for his attention and the hens and ducks whose personalities were always affected by the proximity of humans, there were other accidents just waiting to happen. The family dogs, always placid with those they knew, but more interactive with strangers, could never be fully trusted. The old well in the front garden, lying below an old fashioned pump, that once brought fresh water to the surface and covered by a large stone that concealed a long, deep cavern that often no stone could find its end. The hundreds of bales in the hayshed, that we used to reconstruct into long tunnels and crawl through with only the light of a torch. The apple trees that became our mountains and whose branches provided support for the primitive swings that we constructed from baler twine and a piece of old board for a seat. The ladders, spades, pitchforks, machinery, tractors and chemicals that were all a part of everyday farm life. The drains, hedges, fences and gates that became our playground and the roofs onto which we would climb to get a better view of the countryside. Yet nothing ever happened. I guess someone was looking after us.

And now I know it was God, for only He could have kept an eye on us twenty four hours of every day and I know He continues to do that, not only for me now that I'm married and older but also for every single person in my family. And so, though I often think about them when they are driving, or when they're away from home for long periods, or when danger could possibly threaten, I don't worry because God is in charge of their lives and He can see danger even when we can't or when it's just around the corner. Paul says 'Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword.' Jesus says 'Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.' And the Psalmist says' Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.' Nothing, not even danger, separates us from God and because of His peace we need never fear, no matter what shadow moves across our lives. But it is dangerous to ignore Him.

No comments: