Wednesday 14 November 2007

G is for GOLF

You see I have this problem. I think I should be able to play the stupid game. After all, I was competent at all the ball sports I tried. I represented my school at basketball and rugby, played the latter at a firsts level with my club for many years, regularly took part in summer soccer tournaments and in five a side games, played tennis almost non stop in the warmer days, dabbled in cricket and even had the occasional run out at hockey in charity games. The first time I realised that, maybe in terms of sport and particularly golf, the world was not always round was when I encountered one of my friends hitting a golf ball as sweetly as I thought I could kick a rugby ball. The guy had no history of sporting prowess in any field, having had a brief flirtation with both rugby and hockey at school and in the lower echelons of his chosen club but without any possibility of a lasting and meaningful relationship. Yet here he was, striking that little sphere perfectly with that lovely sweet sound of metal on ball that brings a satisfied smile to a golfer's face. And he did it again, several times. The frustrating thing for me was that I had thought every shot was excellent, but he was less than impressed with all his efforts, blaming the way he held the club, his less than perfect stance, his follow through, his head coming up too quickly, his general preparation. This was different to other sports, for there was no one else to blame only yourself. It was all about man and his club versus ball, about being both mentally and physically in tune. It wasn't about the other guy, the late tackle, the wind, the bad conditions underfoot, the unfair referee, playing away from home, the insensitive crowd, the injury time, the sending off, the lack of video replays or any other excuse most sportsman make for their lack of success. No this was about one man, or woman and their preparation.

Since that day, many years ago, I have encountered many such individuals, who have found in golf a freedom to express their sporting interests when other such doors closed. Others have discovered a new lease of life when age or injury prevented them from continuing to pursue the chosen sport of their youth. Still others have acquired a new pastime in their senior years that not only helped maintain their health but provided a social environment in which they thrived. And there are many for whom golf has always been their chosen sport and in the past few years, as new clubs spring up in many areas of the country, more young people are forsaking the claims of soccer, rugby, hockey or gaelic sports for the greens and fairways. But they all share two things in common, no matter their background in coming to the sport. The first is a desire to get better, to get every shot just right and to compete against and overcome their own inadequacies. You see it brings a certain amount of satisfaction, of fulfillment even, when the ball sails down the fairway the way you had intended or into the hole from the edge of the green. But the second common denominator for all golfers is the sense of frustration when it all goes wrong. It might only be one hole out of eighteen, but that's the one you remember until the next time.


The last time I ventured out on to a golf course was over four years ago. It was a miserable day, the course was waterlogged in places and I'm beginning to sound like a sportsman full of excuses. I had relied on my ability at other sports to carry me through, but in the watery conditions, I sunk without trace. In truth, I was out of my depth.No real preparation apart from a couple of buckets of balls on the driving range and the odd overheard instruction from an expert to pupils nearby. It wasn't a complete disaster but one par hole hardly merits mention amongst the unmentionables. I now know that if I'm going to enjoy playing the game, I need to go and learn from an expert and I need to practice regularly, which is actually how I developed at all the other sports. Both will cost time and money but if I'm really serious about it, that's the deal. Ah well, maybe sometime!


So, what have you learned from my experience. Maybe you're already a proficient golfer or maybe you struggle with even driving off the tee. Or maybe it's not golf where you struggle at all. Maybe it's all this God thing that has you frustrated. You just don't get it or like me with the golf you don't take it too seriously but you might some day. Maybe God is a big deal in your life but it's more on a social level and you fit it in when you can. Or maybe God's calling you to be more dedicated to Him and you're not sure. You see, no matter where you are in your relationship with God, there is a cost if you want more. Jesus says 'What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?' Learning from the Master isn't easy but without it we can never be more like Him. He tells us 'Anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.'


A good friend of mine spent over a year just hitting balls on the practice range and getting lessons from a professional. In all that time he never ventured on to the course. But now he plays with confidence and he still practises. I think it's time to go back to the Expert.

No comments: