Friday 9 November 2007

B is for BIBLE

It was a beautiful Bible. Each page was trimmed with gold, there was a little quick index down the open side that enabled me to find a book much more quickly and it had a beautiful soft, black leather cover. Inside, apart from the King James translation, were a number of maps from Old and New Testament times, that I often studied during the sermon and also a neat little concordance that helped find verses on particular topics. But these weren't the reasons I treasured it. The answer was to be found on the front cover, down in the bottom right-hand corner where the two capital letters, CE, were emblazoned in gold and inside, on the first page, where it said something like 'awarded for first place in Britain,' though I can't remember the exact phrasing now. I got my picture in the local papers, under the headline, 'Best boy in Britain,' though that title was perhaps slightly misleading on many fronts, not least because probably less than one percent of the population had entered the Bible competition in the first place but also the phrase 'best boy' carries with it behavioural, sporting, academic and other connotations, none of which I could have claimed to be anywhere near the top of my field. Still, I coped OK with the fame, albeit on a very local level and mostly within my own head. That Bible was very precious to me, but one night, I left it behind in the pew of a church far away and never saw it again. We made enquiries but it never appeared, though I think I could have made more of an effort to trace its whereabouts. I guess it wasn't as precious to me as I claimed.


Inside the cupboard in our bathroom at home was a huge Bible. It wasn't the sort you would carry to church every Sunday, unless you were either a particularly devout and public Pharisee or else the world's strongest Christian. Inside, apart from the King James translation, were lots of maps, much more detailed than my CE Bible, commentaries by famous Biblical scholars and the most beautiful colour illustrations of well-known Bible stories interspersed at regular intervals through its ornate pages. At the front was a small section of about seven or eight leaves that bore the names of different family members from the last few generations and it gave a sense of belonging to the whole book. But I have to admit, that while it was precious to me as an object, I don't ever recall reading a single verse from its pages, so maybe it wasn't as precious as I had suggested.


Dad had a Bible that he read every night. It had an imitation leather cover and slightly larger print and apart form the King James translation, there were a few maps at the back. Long before he became a Christian, I remember him reading it and for many years, mum and dad read together. When my grandfather came to live with them for the last few years of his life, my lasting memory is of him, with his failing eyesight, using a large magnifying glass to see the print. In his earlier years when I stayed with him and my grandmother in Belfast, we all sat around solemnly at night as he read some verses from his Bible.


Over the years, I have owned different Bibles. We have a white one, given to us on the day of our marriage, like many other couples, but it is really only an ornament and a reminder of a special day. More recently I owned a beautiful King James version with a wine-coloured leather cover, but as I began to supplement my understanding with other translations and paraphrases, I have noticed this Bible becoming more of a possession of my eldest son, to the point where he recently asked me if he could have it.


I think my experience down the years has taught me not to treasure the Bible as an object for whatever reason, but to treasure what's inside, for as Timothy reminds us 'All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.' When I read the Bible, I'm not just reading stories about great men of faith, history,love stories or a man who died on a cross. I'm not just reading about dreamers, leaders, giants, rainbows, miracles, laws or prophecies. I'm reading about God's love for me, His desire for me to be with Him and the promise He has made since the beginning of time. I'm reading 'God's Words' written by men from different generations and eras but all pointing to the One who calls Himself 'I am', who has always been and always will be. That's why every single word on every page is precious.


One Bible in our house has pride of place now. It's not too big and it belonged to a lady who was not too big, physically but a giant for God. Mum's Bible is well worn, underlined and annotated. It sits in our 'good room', with her glasses on top and open at her favourite verse, Joshua chapter 1, verse 9 which says 'Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.' If you haven't read the Bible, I guess that's a good place to start.

No comments: