Monday 3 September 2007

W is for WEDDINGS

I attended my first two weddings in short trousers but I only know that because I've seen the photographs. I don't remember anything else about them except that the bridesmaids wore sky blue dresses in the first one and gold in the second, That memory has nothing to do with a fascination for bridesmaids but only stuck because my sister was a bridesmaid at both. I've now lived long enough to be able to attend the weddings of the daughters of both of those unions, but I chose to wear long trousers on each occasion. Like most men, I'm not a big fan of weddings though I understand why they need to happen and I'm sure hotels are pretty glad that they do.

Mum and dad's wedding for which, unfortunately, I was late by just over four years and is only recorded in black and white took place alongside the scenic Mall of Armagh in the church building of the same name. Yet even the monochrome photographs show the consternation on mum's face when dad was unceremoniously separated from her as they stood on the steps outside and whisked off by some of his 'allies' for a quick couple of laps of the Mall in a pony and trap before returning for two receptions, the one in the local town hall and the other from his not highly amused bride. And that wasn't the last time that I would witness a lady left to twiddle her bouquet while the rural custom of kidnapping her new husband for a short while amused the locals. Yet I guess we seldom see it now and it's probably a reflection on how we all live in this new century where less time is spent getting to know our neighbours and more time we live in isolation.

No two weddings are the same, but they have changed over the years. I've been to small, private functions, grandiose occasions, receptions in castles, marquees, stately houses, garden parties, hotels, homes and restaurants. I've seen friends married in all four seasons and what can be more romantic than a Christmas wedding complete with snow? I've seen the best man and the groom arrive in red Ferraris, the bride by horse and cart,white suits, grey suits, kilts,guards of honour, pipers and even a best man with a mask! And while mum and dad made do with a few shots by the local photographer, a modern wedding often has more lights and cameras than the BBC and I've even had to endure rewatching the whole service and reception as part of the entertainment immediately after the speeches. Yes the speeches. Don't you just love that moment when you see the person who has to get up at every wedding they attend because they think they have something to say and, worse still, they think someone actually wants to hear it. And is it just me, or are more brides making a speech nowadays. Anyway as I said, I 'm not a big fan of weddings but the wife loves them so that's a good enough reason to go!

I often think about the wedding in Cana that Jesus attended, where he turned the water into wine and as I read it this week I was struck by His reluctance to be doing this kind of miracle when his 'time had not yet come' but also His obedience to his mother's call. I was also fascinated by the fact that his mother knew exactly what He would be capable of doing before she asked Him, because she knew exactly whom He was and had gathered such things in her heart since the day the angel had first appeared to her as a young girl.And that's the beauty of living with Him every day. You get to know the real Jesus and you're always sure of a great reception!

No comments: