Thursday 27 September 2007

S is for STEPHEN

This is a story about Stephen, though sometimes his name is spelled Steven, but I'm still talking about the same persons.

I hadn't seen Stephen for a long time, but I caught up with him last weekend. He hadn't changed, though I hadn't remembered him wearing glasses before. I guess time had moved more quickly than I thought. He doesn't work now even though he and I are about the same age but his employers allowed him to bring his career to a premature close and hopefully open up another avenue of employment. He was more than a community policeman for he was a policeman of the community. His wit was as sharp as it had been when he used to drop into school in his uniform and despite being a Man City supporter, he was never downhearted. But now I noticed a lovely maturity in his spiritual thinking and I was glad that our paths had crossed again.


I'd known Stephen at school, though he was a couple of years below me, but he'd always been a cheerful sort of person and after leaving, I seldom saw him until the last few years again when we would both be cheering on our Alma mater at a rugby game or in our local village where he worked for the government. Yet no matter when we meet he always has time to talk and I'm so glad that, all these years later, his faith is more vibrant than ever.


Stephen and I are both teachers. We regularly communicate by text about issues in our jobs and often discuss things before or after church. But more often our discussions are about football or rugby and though he supports the Red Devils from the other side of Manchester, he is always fair in his judgement of the opposition, even from the red half of Merseyside, so I find myself doing likewise, if somewhat begrudgingly. During the last couple of years, more of his texts have been about the importance of God in his life and everyday job and is a sign of God taking him further in his walk.


I've known Stephen since he was born. He grew up partly in our church and partly in another. He has a great passion for sport though it was never going to be his career path. He became a referee, briefly, and a football coach but found neither to be his liking long term. Maybe it's because I was older and had time for him, but he always contacted me when he needed advice and was a willing listener. Married in the last few years, he has now chosen to become a teacher, a route that I hope I didn't influence. As he begins his first full time job, I know his feet are firmly grounded in the faith of his parents.


Stephen and I became great friends only about six years ago. He worked at my sons' school and the first time we met, immediately we hit it off. I had seen him many times before but knew little about him except that he worked hard at his job.IN the years that followed we would travel to rugby games together, meet socially, share our interests in music and film and be there for each other. Now that the boys have moved on, we don't have the same regular contact but when we meet, the atmosphere is always easy. Maybe that's because we also share the same faith in God.


Stephen fixes my car and that of my sons and gets them ready for MOT tests. He is also a psychiatrist, an architect and was a fellow student teacher many years ago.I've even taught Stephen in my class a couple of times. Confused? Well of course they're not all the same person, but they all answer to the name of Stephen (or Steven). However, they do all know the same person in the same way as I know Jesus and I guess that's more than just a coincidence of names.


Stephen, chosen by the twelve disciples to help with their work, was a man 'full of faith and the Holy Spirit.' Because of the power and grace that God had given him, he was able to do 'great wonders and miraculous signs.' It caused such jealously among the church leaders that it cost him his life. But even as he died, he was leaving a mark as Paul, possibly the greatest missionary ever, later reflects how he 'stood there giving my approval and guarding the clothes of those who were killing him.' All the Stephens I have known have left a mark on me through their faith. I hope my name has similar effect.

No comments: