Friday 3 August 2007

A is for AVOCADO


Growing up in an area and time period largely devoid of the complexities of choosing a dining experience that did not include the potato in one of its guises, I would not stumble upon the proud avocado until later in life, when it was cunningly introduced to me through gourmet offerings of other cultures or at social gatherings where it was considered the in vogue fruit to impress the invited clientele. Impressed I was certainly not, neither by the fruit nor by its host as I prodded around my plate in the vain hope of satisfying my culinary tastebuds with a more meaningful flavour, while wondering if other punters around me were actually enjoying the experience or just drowning the moment in deep discussion. And what of the host? What ulterior motive was being served alongside this offering or did they genuinely think that this was a better or healthier alternative to the foods that had served our previous generations so well? I shall never know, though I shall continue to speculate every time it appears before me, even though my present multicultural tastebuds now cope adequately, with only a slight, silent , initial and very internal protest at its appearance. The fact that it is rich in several vitamins, has more potassium than the good old banana, is an important dietry constituent of many of the world's poorer countries, where food and social class do not join hands, and is thought to promote physical beauty and act as an aphrodisiac, softens the blow considerably when it appears on my plate. It has made me look at the more humble Avocado in a new light and might even encourage me to add it to my wish list the next time I visit a restaurant, but, as the old native American Indian chief once said, I still have my reservations.
I've often looked at people in the same way, being a 'first impressions' sort of person and although I occasionally find no reason to change my opinion, experience has taught me that everyone is special and has qualities and gifts to offer and to enrich our lives. God has made us for a special purpose and the greatest part of his creation is the variety of personalities and appearances we meet and the freedom which he has given to each individual to express themselves.
When God sent Samuel to select a new king for Israel to replace Saul, he reminded him that he 'does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart' (1 Samuel 16v7). Likewise, Jesus reminds us in Matthew 7v1 not to judge others or we too will be judged.So, in future when I meet someone new, I'm going to have an 'Avocado moment' and remember, beyond that first impression exterior, there is a heart that God loves and a life that he can use for his glory. Enjoy your Avocado moment today.

No comments: