Wednesday 1 August 2007

A is for ANFIELD

From the moment I was old enough to appreciate the beautiful game, I wanted to see it played at first hand by my heroes and not through the medium of a grainy black and white, inconsistent television which sat in the corner of our kitchen. That I would have to wait until the grass was already green in most living rooms, made my first visit to the hallowed ground all the more special and when it did arrive in the spring of 1973, I was awestruck. The colour, the noise, the singing, the swaying of the Spion Kop(named after that hill in South Africa, where many young Liverpudlians died in the Boer War of 1900), the speed of the game and the enormity of the stands compared to our local club ground - and of course, the players, Keegan, Heighway, Smith, Clemence et al. For the record, an opposing player was the hero of the day as Pat Jennings saved two penalties in an exciting late morning draw, allowing the masses to escape in time to witness Red Rum win his first Grand National. It would be over ten years before I would return, by which time the ground had been extended to accommodate an ever increasing thirst to see England's most successful side of that age and the prospect of a floodlit European night seemed to enhance the pleasure of the trip. I would come back again several times in the intervening years as the club coped with Heyshel, Hillsborough and the humility that comes from seeing the power base move to your most hated rivals. But, no matter what happens on the pitch, the thrill of standing at the Shankly Gates or the Hillsborough Memorial, singing 'You'll never walk alone' as the team comes out, reliving past glories in the club museum, or touching the 'This is Anfield' sign on the stadium tour, never diminshes.
Yet now, nostalgia cannot stand in the way of progress as the club prepares for the modern era in a new and larger stadium. Maybe my search for the elusive match ticket will be less frustrating but my optimism will always be tinged with sadness of the way things used to be. What I do know is that my love affair with Anfield and its famous club has taken time and effort to get to the place where I am unwavering in my support
As I am challenged to progress deeper in my Christian faith, I am reminded that all my past experiences have brought me to this point where I need to move on with God.I cannot stand still and survive on the past for God has new blessings he wants me to experience. Paul told Timothy to be diligent and to give himself wholly to the things that would make his faith noticeably progress, setting an example in speech, life, love, faith and purity. So persevere - don't look back - progress is just around the corner!

No comments: