Wednesday 14 May 2008

P is for PREPARATION

The view from the front steps of my grandparent's house was amazing. Living in the east of the city of Belfast their home faced down over Victoria Park, a place that had its own outdoor swimming pool, which I remember freezing in at least once and the emerging and overpowering presence of the two yellow cranes that towered over that part of town. But at the time I recall, the first one was still only under construction and the other not due to appear for several years. And though you could see all the way to the mountains in the west of the city, one structure took pride of place in the foreground causing everything else to fade into oblivion. That 'structure' was the Oval, home of Glentoran Football Club and the supported team of the whole community around those parts. I wasn't a particularly avid Glens fan, having aligned myself with the blue and white stripes of Coleraine, for no other sensible reason than the fact that I had picked them to win the Irish Cup in the mid sixties and they duly obliged. However, during the late summer, when I would spend some of my holidays at his Park Avenue home, Bob, my grandfather would often walk with me down to the Oval, about half a mile away from the front door and we would watch the pre season friendlies against some of the 'big' teams from across the water as part of Glentoran's preparation for the new season. So I managed to see such clubs as Stoke City and Huddersfield who then were both operating in the old First Division, yesterday's equivalent of the Premiership and also never forgot such Oval heroes as Trevor Thompson, Billy McCullough, Bimbo Weatherup and Arthur Stewart. And I always remember the big keeper, Albert Finlay, who wore a bright yellow jersey. Anyway, those games were so important and though they were billed as friendlies, they were vital to both sides in preparing for the season ahead by improving match fitness, sharpness, speed and stamina.

I began to realise the importance of such preparation when I started to play rugby for apart from the nights spent slogging around the perimeter of a pitch or sprinting backwards and forwards along its length, of equal importance was the time we spent practising different moves, talking about the opposition strengths and weaknesses and thinking about the game ahead. And of course we always had to finish with a session of unopposed rugby. For the uninitiated, this involves playing as if the opposition were there, when really they're not at all and going through all the phases of play until a try was scored. Sometimes, though we dropped the ball so often or failed to complete moves that I think we probably lost some unopposed games! Not exactly the greatest preparation in the world. After training and a shower, our coach would get us seated all around the perimeter of a room and ask each of us what we intended to do in the game on Saturday or else what each individual thought about the game ahead. It was always fascinating to see how different team mates viewed the match and the opposition but it did help develop wonderful team spirit.


But years later, sports preparation by athletes for big events is so much more professional than it used to be, even at school level. Diet, weights, psychology, conditioning and a superior knowledge of fitness have all led to games being faster and often more skilful than before. Computer testing, video analysis and player stats for a game all provide an increased level of preparation and a friend who is a hockey coach tells me about how much thought he has to put into his team talks to have the right balance of passion, psychology and tactics. But I suppose that sport is only one facet of our lives where preparation is vital. Most kids are in the throws of exams at present and burning the midnight oil as they complete their studying. All of us who drive would not think of taking the test without some knowledge of what to do when we get behind the wheel, nor would we expect our old banger to get through an MOT test without a little bit of tidying up. And I don't think too many wives would invite the outlaws to dinner or the minister and his wife for afternoon tea unless the hoover had been out and the duster and polish had been given a rattle.


So when Jesus tells me that ' In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you,' I reckon that's about as personal as you can get. But the promise is much greater because He follows it up with this statement, 'And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.' But the question is, how prepared am I for His coming? Have I got the Shield of Faith, The Helmet of Salvation, the Breastplate of Righteousness , the Belt of Truth and the Sword of the Spirit? Is my preparation for tomorrow or eternity? Isn't the motto of the Scouts, 'be prepared?' Ready for anything? Ready for His coming? If not, prepare yourself for the the consequences.