Saturday 15 December 2007

R is for RUGBY

They say it is a thug's game played by gentlemen, or is it the other way round? I can't remember, but I was about to find out. I'd just kicked the ball up the field and whether the flanker was annoyed that he hadn't managed to tackle me first or was just exhibiting normal behaviour, I'll never really know. For whatever reason, I found myself running towards where the ball landed with this less than charming member of the opposition parallel to my left ear. He seemed disinterested in where the ball was or indeed the score, but more concerned about expressing his anger using a wide vocabulary of expletives. I don't know if it was my indifference to his remarks or the smile which suggested that I had won this particular battle but as we parted company, he signalled his departure with a swinging arm to my face. Fortunately his aim was about as good as his tackling and I think in that moment I decided that sometimes rugby can be a thug's game played by thugs!

In truth, however, that was not the way I found the game to be at all and while most players make every legal effort to prevent the opposition winning and because of its physicality, tempers can become stretched beyond the elastic limit, when that final whistle goes, there lies a bond between rugby players from all walks of life that not only spills into the clubhouse but is never lost down the years. There are no barriers of colour, religion, class, political persuasion or wealth for all talk from the same handbook and speak a language that each understands. On the pitch, there is a togetherness and team ethic that any army general would be proud to see in his troops. We all live or die by our collective effort and can laugh about it in the clubhouse afterwards. At least that's how it has always been. But in recent years, things have begun to change and many would queue at the door to tell you that much of the fun has gone, replaced by a 'win at all costs' mentality and less camaraderie than once existed. What has caused this change? I've no doubt that money has played a large part and the dawn of the professional era has left less time to get to know the opposition socially as well as competitively. Even at schools and under age level the demands placed upon our young players has killed their original enjoyment of the game and modern tactics negate the opportunity for flair to be exhibited. All in the name of winning. It's a sad reflection on a game that I love but all is not lost for there are still those developing countries where the rugby gospel is being preached, who are not restricted by the unwritten rules that have so damaged the major nations and where rugby is still played with a smile. Don't be fooled into thinking that players from past ages didn't want to win for the desire was just as strong. I guess we just realised that while rugby was important it should never be allowed to dominate our every day existence.

I remember my first game for the school and though we lost 6-5 it was an experience I never forgot, playing against people I had never seen before and realising that they had as determined a will to win as we had. . In the following twenty five years I played hundreds of matches for school and club but most have gone from memory. How strange that my first game should still be logged in the mind after all these years and other, better days should have been wiped away.

I still love to watch the game, standing on the touchline or sat in front of the television and marvel at the fitness, physique and durability of the modern players. And, just occasionally, I wonder how the players of past eras would measure up, given the same conditioning and knowing the skill levels that some of them possessed. It's a question to which there is no answer.

Being a Christian is a team game too. Yes I know that for each of us, there must be a time when,as individuals, we put our faith in God and ask Him to save us, but that is only the beginning, like the first match and while most of us remember when that took place, it has been all those experiences since that have helped to mould us into the people we are today. I think of many people who crossed my path and guided me in my youth. Ministers, Sunday school teachers, day school teachers, missionaries, friends and relations and many who didn't realise the influence they had. But we were all part of the same family and each helped another in their daily walk, for we were all playing for the same coach. These days I see that team spirit in our church, especially in our study group and know that each is there for the other and that Jesus is there for all of us. He reminds me of this when He says 'I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.' And the secret of the early church just after Jesus had returned to heaven? Luke tells us 'All the believers were together and had everything in common.' Isn't that what we all need. One body of believers, one church and one Lord. It must be worth a try!

No comments: